Monday, August 26, 2013

Sunday's Setlist: Charlie Hustle & the Grifters, 8/25/13, Railroad Park, Verona, Pa.

'Like a tiger in a trance...'

I could get used to this all-electric thang.

At Hula Bar, I was forced to use my electric on songs I'd previously done acoustic. It worked out alright. This time, we planned on an all-electric night, and it worked out great. My electric had a nice sharp bite to it, reminded me a little bit of Jefferson Airplane/Moby Grape, tone-wise.

We've also been experimenting a little more with effects. Pete is working with a tremolo pedal to get the right sound for our super-extra-special all-Creedence set at "Pittsburgh Abides," the local Lebowski-fest on Sept. 13 (see details in the post above), and I've been trying out different vibrato settings during the "Stone Soup" jams. Last time I used the heavy end for a watery tone; this time I tried the opposite end, a very long vibrato that lends a spacey tone to things that I really dug. Hope you will too!

Click here to stream/download the set courtesy of Archive.org:

Early set:
Big Bad Blues (Furthur) >
Smokestack Lightning (C. Burnett)
Gentleman of Leisure (J. Winchester)
Me and My Uncle (Dead)
Floating Bridge (J. Estes)
Mother's Meth Head Blues*
Friend of the Devil (Dead)
I Like It*
Nobody Knows the Way I Feel This Morning (D. Van Ronk) >
Althea (Dead)

Late set:
Jam > Feelin' Alright (S. Winwood)
Mystery Train (J. Parker)
Come On In My Kitchen (R. Johnson)
Whiskey River (W. Nelson)
Let It Rock (C. Berry)
Dock of the Bay (O. Redding)
Jam > 'Kids in the Hall' Tease >
Rain (Lennon-McCartney)
New Mexican Shuffle*
Jam > Soul Serenade (C. Ousley) >
Good Morning Lil' Schoolgirl (J. Lee Williamson) >
Jam > Stone Soup* >
Jam > Cumberland Blues (Dead)

*Original

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going. Leave a comment!