Friday, March 27, 2009

Let's Talk About the Pinch...

Ohhh, the Pinch...

Once I started getting more and moreinto ties, I began to realize that my father - who is left-handed - had not just taught me backwards... he'd taught me DOUBLE ASS-BACKWARDS, because he starts with the thin end of the tie on his right side AND with the backside facing forward.

I would discover later that this is actually the starting position to tie a Half-Windsor which, with a little attention, can also look very good.

At the time, however, I had no possible clue, and was just tying it the way I was taught. And I would usually end up with a decent enough knot, never too small, but every time I saw someone wearing a tie I really liked, it had 'The Pinch.'

The Pinch is the little - or big, depending - dimple at the bottom of your tie knot that really makes the difference between just wearing a tie and actually TYING a tie. It actually takes a lot more practice than I thought it would, but I'm now at the point where I can tie a perfect Half-Windsor, a Four-in-Hand and, most importantly, a Dub (Double) Windsor, the nice, big, fat knot you see most professionals sporting.

There are any number of sites, FAQs and videos for how to tie a tie, so I'm not going to go into all of it here... and I will readily admit that all the knots kind of look the same, but their beauty is in their versatility. With a spread-collar shirt, if you're rocking a thinner Four-in-Hand, you're going to have all this space between the edges of the tie knot and your collar. But if you can tie the Dub, then you got all that space filled with fat-ass knot.

I ordered
this AMC NY tie this afternoon, to add to the collection. Ohh yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going. Leave a comment!