Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Joe Biden was in my front yard last week...

So you wouldn't really think that standing out in the freezing-ass rain trying to take pictures for the paper would be the place for one to experience a civic awakening.

But there I was, across the street from my apartment, taking pictures of the next Vice President of the United States, who I had voted for only two days before, and I really couldn't help but feel a little bit of that change all the pundits were yakking about.

Alright, so that's a little bit overly simple. There's probably a lot more initial disappointment coming, if you consider that change. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but the highest of hopes for Obama, Biden and whoever he decides for his Cabinet. But he's got his work cut out.

It was hard not to be proud of the country, though, regardless of whether you voted Obama or McCain. If both of my grandfathers were alive today, they would never believe we had a black president. I don't think my dad thought he would see it in his lifetime. It certainly sends out a signal about the America that I believe in.

The video below was shot about 200 feet from my front door, across the circle from my apartment. My mainest man, Big Joe Biden, was in town for Return Day to cheer up those of us who stuck it out in the nasty-ass wind and rain for chance to see the future VP:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the conversation going. Leave a comment!